Thursday, April 02, 2009

Oma's Breakfast Muffins

I realized the other day that this recipe was not posted (gasp!)... it is one of my all-time favorites! I will make these muffins till the day I die.

Oma's Breakfast Muffins

Yield: 36 muffins (approx)
It took me 2 hours to figure this out, but the Weight Watcher points are as follows ~ 5 points for one muffin if made with oil and 3 points for one muffin if substituted with applesauce

2 cups Quick Oats
2 cups Shredded Wheat cereal
2 cups All-Bran cereal
1 cup Boiling Water
1 cup Oil (Applesauce can be substituted for heart-healthiness)
2 1/4 cups Brown Sugar (packed)
1 Quart Buttermilk
4 Eggs
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 Tablespoon salt
5 cups Flour

Combine three cereals. Add boiling water. Stir in oil and sugar. Add remaining ingredients in order listed. Fill muffin tin 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. Can add raisins, nuts or mashed bananas. Refrigerate. Can be kept up to 2 months.

You do not have to make the muffins all at once - I make the batch and then refrigerate it. We make about 6 in the morning for our family. The remaining batch will last a couple weeks (sometimes less!) I've also made these all at once for our ladies Bible study group at church.



This is actually a double batch because we couldn't remember how many cups were in a quart. When we finally realized it was 4 (and not 8) - we needed to double the recipe. Ordinarily I mix it up in the Kitchen-Aid, but it won't hold a double batch... only my Great-Grandmother's Bauer Bowl will hold that much.

1 comment:

Kath said...

Hi,Why did you figure out the WW points? You certainly don't need to watch your weight, you look great. The muffins look delicious.
The dress pattern is so cute and reminds me exactly of a dress my Grandma made for me and my sisters for Easter one year. All the dressed were the same pattern, but different colors. My dress was blue, one sister's was pink and one was green. Very cute with the little Peter Pan color and the full skirt with the big bow in back. We also had crinoline petticoats. Very nostalgic for me.
Love you, Kath