Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oliver + S Puppet Show Dress

Have any of you heard of a "Deltor" before? Well, back in 1920 it was the name for the first pattern instruction sheet for 'home-sewists' (versus the tailors and professional sewists) which was included in the mass-marketed dress patterns. It was revolutionary to the pattern industry and all the other major pattern companies found ways to follow suit.




Anyway, my point is this: I think the Oliver + S patterns are the 'Deltor' of today. They are clear and concise, the presentation and marketing are brilliant, not to mention flawlessly beautiful - is it any wonder a unique and special boutique children's garment is the finished result? I think not. Even the designer's instructions have twists and turns at constructing the garment that allow for perfect seaming and 'pretty' sewing.

The Puppet Show Dress ~ made in a size 3-4 for width and size 5 for length (yes, my little one is tall and thin). It's still quite hot here and remains nicely warm through September and beginning of October (it was 100 degrees today). A short-sleeved school dress will get lots of wear. The fabric I chose lends itself to late summer/early fall with the color scheme . . . from American Jane Wee Play by Moda.



Tiny 3/8 inch vintage buttons were the perfect color of chrysanthemum red. Each button has tiny little milgrain beading along the circumference edge.







I want each and every pattern as if for a collection to be viewed in a curio cabinet.
I will be carrying her patterns on my website, so if you'd like one - let me know!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Little Munchkins said...

Gorgeous work. Love the fabrics and the sleeve detail.

Jeanne said...

The dress turned out beautifully! I love the red vintage buttons.

Unknown said...

What a very beautiful dress!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful and stunningly sewn. I love it.

Ruth said...

I'm getting ready to sew this pattern. Your photos are very inspirational.